Monday, January 7, 2013

Happy New Year!


Happy New Year everyone! As we’re entering a new year I wanted to take some time to reflect on 2012 and what an amazing year it was for my family.

I have always been a very lucky gal, blessed with a wonderful family, great friends, wonderful husband and a great job, but this year brought new meaning to my life. In June, we welcomed our amazing little man into this world and he is truly the best thing that has ever happened to us. I feel very fortunate to live where we live as well where I have the opportunity to take a full year maternity leave and spend my days with my little love.

Prior to starting my maternity leave, I was nervous to leave my day job and not “work”. As for many people, work is a defining part of who you are and I am no different. It is amazing how quickly I switched gears once little man arrived. Now, I consider myself to be a more rounded, fulfilled person and I believe that this will be a great benefit when I return to the BCWI in June of this year. Until then, I will continue to live life to the fullest at home with little man and enjoy every giggle, every hug, every smile and all of the wonderful firsts that I get to witness.

Prior to life as a mom, I always had a passion for cooking and baking and now I get to spend more time honing these skills. One of my resolutions for 2013 is to get out of our culinary rut and try at least one new recipe a week. I will try to post each recipe (and the results) that we try as well as some of my favourites.

Cheers!

This Week’s Recipe: Indonesian Chicken in Peanut Sauce
(adapted from Canadian Living | The Slow Cooker Collection)

4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (I also used 1 breast)
5 carrots, sliced
2 onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
¾ cup smooth peanut butter
½ tsp ginger, minced
¼ cup soy sauce
½ Tbsp hot sauce
1 ½ cups frozen peas
1 tsp white wine vinegar

  •  Place chicken, carrots, onions and garlic in slow cooker
  •  In a small bowl, whisk together 1 ¼ cups water with peanut butter, soy sauce, ginger and hot sauce. Pour into slow cooker and stir to combine.
  • Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
  • Add peas and vinegar. Cover and cook on high until steaming hot, about 10 minutes.

Serve over rice and top with your choice of peanuts (or sesame seeds) and chopped basil. Enjoy!

Potential pairing: Quails’ Gate Gewürztraminer or Baillie-Grohman Pinot Gris 

No comments:

Post a Comment